Our Acton and Newton pharmacies offer compounded medications. Compounding, or creating custom medication, is the foundation of pharmacy and originated in ancient times. Compounding serves a necessary and immensely valuable purpose for many patients who have unique health needs that off-the-shelf, manufactured medications cannot meet.
Compounded medications are used for the following purposes:
- Creating medication that works best for the individual;
- Making available needed medications that are in short supply, or have been discontinued;
- Making more palatable – through the introduction of various flavors – medicines that in their commercial form have a disagreeable taste;
- Taking a medicine only available in a pill or tablet form (which some people have trouble swallowing) and converting it into a liquid, topical, or lozenge form;
- Making medications without the ingredients to which some patients are allergic, or in strengths that are not commercially available.
Dinno Health specializes in compounded medications for health issues that include:
- Hormone replacement therapy
- Diet restrictions/allergies
- Mitochondrial disease
- Travelers’ medicine
A physician must prescribe a compounded medication. All compounding pharmacies –as is the case with all pharmacies – are required to operate under the governmental oversight of the state board of pharmacy, and in compliance with regulations issued by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA).
Our compounding pharmacy meets the highest standards of our profession. Our pharmacists rank with the most skilled and technically capable in the practice of pharmacy compounding that one can find anywhere.